One issue with collaboration on design is ensuring that changes by various team members do not wipe each other out and that each member of the team can play to their strengths. With CATIA and 3DEXPERIENCE on the cloud, there is a cost-effective and price-performant solution to this issue.
The 3DEXPERIENCE platform itself has many components all designed to further collaboration:
- 3DPassport ensures the identity of each project member and secures their access to the platform. Put another way, no passport = no access
- 3DSwym is a social enterprise platform helping foster deeper collaboration via common Web 3.0 tools such as blogs, wikis, and iQuestions where members inside and outside the company (given a 3DPassport as discussed above) can collaborate based on common interests or common goals. It also includes an ideation platform which allows for new ideas to grow organically into product requirements
- 3DDashboard is a powerful user experience where heterogeneous content in widgets can be displayed in the web browser (including 3D data) for more insight into the design intent and impacts. Members can share common dashboards or create their own for intuitive access to all kinds of data: engineering, design, manufacturing, project management, etc. all on the same screen
- 3DPlay is a powerful 3D Browser that allows members to explore in 3D the designs of their peers including making measurements, creating annotations, and performing sections. This helps ensure a holistic understanding of the design even to non-technical people in departments such as marketing or publications.
- 3DSpace is the foundation for the design, engineering, simulation, and manufacturing data management on the platform. Depending on the Collaborative Spaces members belong to and the Roles they are granted, they can access and/or manipulate data across any technical domain in real-time only seeing the “best so far” or latest and greatest versions. It is the world’s most powerful technical collaboration platform with immersive 3D capabilities as well as coherent and comprehensive views of tabular data (changes, work items, etc.)
These are just a few examples of core elements of the 3DEXPERIENCE platform that aid with Design Collaboration.
But what about CATIA you ask? Well, CATIA is one suite of applications for design alongside the engineering apps of ENOVIA, the simulation apps of SIMULIA and the manufacturing apps of DELMIA that are all seamlessly integrated into the 3DEXPERIENCE platform and can leverage all of the components mentioned above for more powerful collaboration. Specifically taking CATIA as an example, the initial ideation in 3DSwym can be sketched in CATIA and then converted into a 3D model and inserted into a larger assembly. Since it is all on the cloud, the teams bringing their knowledge to bear can be anywhere on the planet and inside or outside the original equipment manufacturer’s firewall and yet all collaborate securely. And returning to the multi-disciplinary aspect of the platform, the design data generated and manipulated by CATIA is intimately linked to all the engineering data in ENOVIA (thanks to Unified Product Structure, or UPS). The same exact geometry can also be used to drive simulation for heat analysis, computation fluid dynamics, etc. leveraging the power of SIMULIA. And finally, the manufacturability of the product including production planning, additive manufacturing, robotics and NC machining can all be simulated and tested without every actually creating a physical factory.
Designing on the cloud using CATIA and 3DEXPERIENCE opens new doors to unlocking the creative potential of your employees and your supply chain. There is an absolute treasure chest of value lurking beneath the surface, there has never been a more powerful platform that was so easy to access and enabling so much collaboration. Come see us at XDI.Cloud for more information and Never Touch the Ground.
[login to unmask email]